Add a New Field: Background & Context
Creating a new field allows more specific data collection in Apto, so that it can best support your daily workflow and capture additional data for reporting.
❗NOTE: only a System Administrator has the level of access required to modify page layouts
There are many data types that are supported in custom fields. These are the most common types:
- Text: Allows combination of letters and numbers. Can set character limit.
- Picklist: Allows users to choose from a predefined list of options.
- Date: Users can enter a date or open a calendar window to choose.
Add a New Field: Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Click the gear symbol in the top right hand corner of the screen > click Setup to navigate to the setup page
2. In the Quick Find box > type ‘object’ > click Object Manager to navigate to the Object Manager setup page
3. Click on the object name to which you'd like to add the field (in this case we are using Contact) > click on Fields & Relationships
❗Pro-Tip: Before adding a new field, look through the existing fields to check if there is an existing field that can be used. Not all fields that are available for use in Apto are assigned to a Page Layout
4. From Fields & Relationships > click New to start the process to make a new field
5. Choose the appropriate data type > click Next to proceed in the procees
6. Label your field, let the Field Name auto-populate, and fill out remaining fields > click Next to proceed in the process
7. Select the appropriate user profiles to access the new field (by default this is set to all) > click Next to proceed.
8. Select the appropriate page layouts to display the new field (by default this is set to all) > click Save to save your configurations
Your new field is now complete.